Sunday, August 18, 2013

All Moved In!

So, I just moved into my wonderful YAV house for the year. I'm living with 7 other women in a house on Zimpel Street that is in the Uptown area of New Orleans (read: not super shady and rather safe). This is the fourth city I've called home in the past 3 weeks, so I've been living out of huge suitcases and off of questionable airport chinese food for a while now. It's nice to be settled.

Last night we went to Frenchmen Street and heard John Boutté sing. This is a great link and, I mean honestly, what spiritual, middle-class white person doesn't love Hallelujah? Whether you prefer Leonard Cohen, Rufus Wainwright, Jeff Buckley, Brandi Carlile, or k.d. lang, you know you have a favorite. Well, this version was pretty powerful. There were people crying in the audience. I was mostly trying not to swat at the goobers that were singing along.

Anyways, we leave for orientation tomorrow in Stony Point, NY, and we'll be gone for a week. I don't think there will be internet there so I'll just have to store up lots of wisdom in the ol' noggin for my next post.

I can't wait for this year and the wonderful work we'll be doing. I know I'm going to grow, change, and trip up a lot in the coming months. As my favorite hymn says (sorry it's not more obscure, I'll do my best to show you how interesting I am later): "[I'm] prone to wander, Lord I feel it; prone to leave the God I love." I'm definitely inclined to do both of those things, but hopefully after wandering and leaving I'll eventually find my way to something worthwhile.

Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. Excited to be reading your blog! When it comes to Hallelujah, I'm a Rufus Wainwright fan all the way, and Come Thou Fount is and always has been my favorite hymn too :)

    ReplyDelete